Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: network card: SIOCSIFFLAGS:device or resource busy?????

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4

    network card: SIOCSIFFLAGS:device or resource busy?????

    Hi,
    I'm trying knoppix, it looks like nice but I have a problem:
    when I try to configure mt ethernet card (it is recognized, I see it in the boot part) giving my IP address and the gateway and Name server (DNS, I suppose), it gives me back this message:SIOCSIFFLAGS:device or resousce busy. I got no idea.
    I just can tell that ifconfig says:
    lo link encap: local loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0
    UP loopback running

    I also tried to do ifconfig eth0 192.168.11.24 netmask 255.255.255.0 up but same message.

    Any idea??

    My PC is installed on a Microsoft lan (win2k), with workgroup and NT domain.

    In my lan settings (win2k) I have: IP addr, WINS, gateway and DNS
    Looks like not being so easy.. but I'm green at this.
    Thanks for helping
    Simone from Italy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Souinds like perhaps an IRQ conflict. Try cat /proc/interrupts and see if that's what's going on. Can you disable PnP in the BIOS? You are using static ip's on your network? What kind of network card?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    I'm using static ip's on my network , the network card is an Intel pro/100 VM Netwprk connection, and it's seen as Intel Etherexpress pro/100 under linux.

    What should I check for in cat /proc/interrupts??

    My PC is a Compaq Evo W4000 with scsi card for HP scanner, Audigy audio card and radeon 8500 video card.

    I think I can turn the bios option PnP in the BIOS off. Gonna try.

    I first thought the driver was not correctly installed, but also Mandrake and Suse recognize the network card this way. So maybe it's a irq problem. I'd know exactly how to solve it under Win2k, but under Linux...
    Thanks a lot
    Simone

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    This is the result of the ifconfig, ifconfig eth0 and cat/proc/interrupts
    :

    svpg024:/home/simper # ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:66 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:66 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:4316 (4.2 Kb) TX bytes:4316 (4.2 Kb)

    svpg024:/home/simper # ifconfig eth0
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:A5:F4:F4:9A
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Base address:0x1400 Memory:fc404000-fc404038

    svpg024:/home/simper # ifconfig eth0 192.168.11.24 up
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Dispositivo o risorsa occupata
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Dispositivo o risorsa occupata

    svpg024:/home/simper # cat /proc/interrupts
    CPU0
    0: 86724 XT-PIC timer
    1: 884 XT-PIC keyboard
    2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    5: 1 XT-PIC ohci1394, usb-uhci
    8: 4 XT-PIC rtc
    10: 573 XT-PIC usb-uhci
    12: 24463 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
    14: 4206 XT-PIC ide0
    15: 24455 XT-PIC ide1
    NMI: 0
    LOC: 0
    ERR: 0
    MIS: 0
    svpg024:/home/simper #

    Ah, finally: I can't turn pnp from Compaq bios...
    Look like it's VERY hard for a standard machine to make linux work in a local network...
    Hope I'm wrong
    Simone

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1

    hehe.

    change a pci slot.
    i done it by changing the pci slot.
    good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. swapon: /dev/hda5: Device or resource busy (etc...) ???!!!!
    By pcolamar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 04:01 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 09:07 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 11:40 AM
  5. PCI: Device 00:1f.1 no able because of resource
    By kopachev in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2003, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99