-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oldgeezer
Overclocking is fun! Is your cpu 'locked'? What stepping does it have? What is the default Vcore? You can get the 'wire trick' and painting guides from
www.ocinside.de. Will you stick with aircooling? We can help, if you need it.
OG.
mbmon
Temp.= 36.0, 58.5, 0.0; Rot.= 4500, 0, 0
Vcore = 1.68, 1.68; Volt. = 3.41, 4.81, 11.86, -16.19, -6.12
From the links posted previously by m_yates I found this perfect thread. There seem to be many options for overclocking this board. Including the 'wire' trick and even some mobo modification w/ a soldering iron although I have yet to find any good pics for this. I've not cut any of the bridges on the cpu itself either. All I'm really after is the easiest way to get to 2.0G. I intend on sticking w/ air cooling.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You seem to have a problem, ricky. It looks as if you've been sold a Thoroughbred 'A', which is a poor overclocker and gets far too hot (should be around 40C), as you can see. You need a bigger HSF with a copper base. You need to assemble your HSF using only pure silver windscreen-heater repair paint (from any car spares shop), after removing the supplied phase-change material and lapping the contact surfaces dead flat. These are the minimum requirements before attempting m/b resoldering. The wire trick may not get you the Vcore voltage selections you require. Your best option is to RMA the cpu you have on whatever pretext and replace it with the cheaper and far better performing Duron1.6, based on the Thornton core. Otherwise, the advice on nforcershq seems OK, although you are unlikely to get the present chip much beyond FSB138 which I would consider unacceptable. Your 5V (4% down) and, to a lesser extent 12V, PSU lines seem to take a bit of a canning, too, which can be important on that m/b. Some way to go with the present combination. [As I said, I wouldn't have chosen this m/b!]
OG.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hold up there OG- nothing's getting RMA'd anywhere unless it dies within the warranty period. Bottom line is I am quite happy w/ my machine. If I don't get it to 2G then oh well- myabe next time. Switching from a 550Mhz w/ 256M to a 1.8G w/ 1G is like night and day. The CPU temp I don't have a problem w/ tryng to lower a bit. All in time.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Fair comment, rick. Fixing the heat problem is the immediate issue. Allow +25/30deg higher core temperature than the indicated surface value. 95C is max permitted, but diffusion has T in the exponential, so it's good to keep things cool. The stepping is shown in the start up list; you can confirm whether it's an 'A' or 'B' according as '0' or'1' shows. The 'B' types run cooler like the D1.6, partly because the Vcore is lower. Power/heat dissipation is a square law, of course, in V and f. We'll all be on 64bit, BTX within a year or so - fortunately, the penguin is ready for us!
OG.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi all. I am considering purchasing the MSI K7N2G-L nforce2-based mobo.
I haven't read the whole thread so just let me know whether my following
questions have been answered previously. I am wondering what is
recognised/supported in standard by knoppix, and what has to be installed
afterwards: my understanding is that one needs to install both an nforce2
driver plus the all-in-one graphics driver as for non-integrated cards. Is this
correct? Were your lan/usb/sound working once this had been done?
And before that, are any cheatcodes needed in order to boot and install
knoppix (or possibly mepis)? Also, when one wants to evaluate a recent
knoppix CD, is this possible with a standard XFree86 nv/fb/vesa driver?
As usual, TIA.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Best advice seems to be to avoid anything nVidia unless you are reasonably Linux literate. Lets me out, then. KISS rules. Why not try reading the extremely enlightening threads on this Forum?! Could save serious pain.
OG.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
baldyeti
Hi all. I am considering purchasing the
MSI K7N2G-L nforce2-based mobo.
I haven't read the whole thread so just let me know whether my following
questions have been answered previously. I am wondering what is
recognised/supported in standard by knoppix, and what has to be installed
afterwards: my understanding is that one needs to install both an nforce2
driver plus the all-in-one graphics driver as for non-integrated cards. Is this
correct? Were your lan/usb/sound working once this had been done?
And before that, are any cheatcodes needed in order to boot and install
knoppix (or possibly mepis)? Also, when one wants to evaluate a recent
knoppix CD, is this possible with a standard XFree86 nv/fb/vesa driver?
As usual, TIA.
Knoppix doesn't have the nvidia drivers but Overclockix does although the release is getting a bit outdated. I have integrated everything so I'm not sure about the graphics driver. I used Kano's script to install nvidia drivers. kano.mipooh.net
Everything on my board is working beautifully. I'm very happy w/ the nforce myself. gluck
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi rick, did you stick to your choice of Asus A7N266-VM? nforce1 thus.
You mentioned a price of 75$, but the MSI board will be more like 130$.
Oh well. If you boot your new system with a knoppix CD, does that work,
only not optimally, or does it require Overclockix for the nforce to be usable
at all? I don't mind recompiling a kernel and whatnot for my HD-installation,
but I'd still like to retain the posiiblity to test new knoppix releases from plain
CD or poor man installl.
Did you try the 'toram' cheatcode with that Gb of memory? How does it feel?
Just the other day a colleague of mine told me someone had announced 500 Gb
HD's for 2004, a pair of which he intends to buy for his heavy-duty video-editing
needs. Sure, terabytes of storage, gigabytes of ram, multi-gigahertz CPU's,
50+ Mbits/s wireless ... what's next
-
Senior Member
registered user
Never mind, all I needed to do was reboot the cable modem....
Silly me.
Thanx anyway,
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
baldyeti
Hi rick, did you stick to your choice of Asus A7N266-VM? nforce1 thus.
You mentioned a price of 75$, but the MSI board will be more like 130$.
Oh well. If you boot your new system with a knoppix CD, does that work,
only not optimally, or does it require Overclockix for the nforce to be usable
at all? I don't mind recompiling a kernel and whatnot for my HD-installation,
but I'd still like to retain the posiiblity to test new knoppix releases from plain
CD or poor man installl.
Did you try the 'toram' cheatcode with that Gb of memory? How does it feel?
Just the other day a colleague of mine told me someone had announced 500 Gb
HD's for 2004, a pair of which he intends to buy for his heavy-duty video-editing
needs. Sure, terabytes of storage, gigabytes of ram, multi-gigahertz CPU's,
50+ Mbits/s wireless ... what's next

I did get the Asus board and it works beautifuly. I couldn't be happier. You won't have networking w/ a standard Knoppix cd- you'll have to use Overclockix or Morphix. I haven't yet tried the toram cheat code.
Hopefully the GPL forcedeth driver makes it into a Knoppix release soon.
Similar Threads
-
By billyboy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
-
By Knobody in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:38 PM
-
By RexBeans Explosion in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 01:10 AM
-
By freeballer in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
-
By pinochet in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99