Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HDD Install great, Few general questions please?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7

    HDD Install great, Few general questions please?

    I did the hd install last night and it was the simplest OS install I have done since DOS itself. Kudos to the authors on this one.

    I will be content to learn my way around linux with library books and the usual poke and hope methods, but I would like to ask a question about mounting other file systems, and general drive usage. I can't decide what forum to ask this in, but I really don't want to join 12 mailing lists and html through a ton of other pages, so with fingers crossed:.......

    Does the Debian Kernel support FAT and FAT32 as compiled in the knoppix install? I tried to mount a drive and it said FAT was not supported.......

    I created a 2G partition and formatted it FAT to use as a "buffer" for files going back and forth between systems, as I don't feel good about writing to other partitions(Win2K and OS/2) so this will be where I dump stuff to share.

    My fstab file does not show this partition, so I am lost as to how to get Debian to see the partition so that I can mount it. I would rather learn on this scratch partition than go screwing up the rest of my system.

    I know I have much to learn, but I appreciate any help I can get here.

    Thanks much for any assistance.

    John

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1
    I've always found linux very capeable of reading FAT and FAT32 partitions. Linux calls modern FAT filesystems vfat, however you shouldn't need to specify it. Assuming your new partition is hda3 (use cfdisk to check), make a directory in /mnt called buffer or something (mkdir /mnt/buffer) and call:

    mount /dev/hda3 /buffer

    If that works okay then you should be able to add it to your fstab, just like the other windows partitions.

    btw, if you're having trouble with a command, try man <command>, it will usuallly help!

    Good Luck

    Laurence

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surabaya - Indonesia
    Posts
    28
    run Konsole
    $ su
    # rebuildfstab

    edit the new fstab :
    # mcedit /etc/fstab,
    assuming your new FAT is hda3, and there is a line at /etc/fstab like this :
    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

    replace "/mnt/hda3" with say /transit, don't forget to create /transit :
    # mkdir /transit

    after that
    # mount -o rw /dev/hda3 /transit

Similar Threads

  1. A few general questions, lets discuss.
    By knewbix in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 05:00 AM
  2. Some general questions
    By Wrincle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 04:12 AM
  3. New to Knoppix some general questions
    By Quip Frok in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
  4. Some general questions
    By Sebastian Mares in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 12:55 PM
  5. toram and tohd worked great!! A few more questions??
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00