Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Black screen...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    Black screen...

    Knoppix has been nothing but trouble for me so far. Finally though Ive gotten to the point where I can boot from the CD, and I get to the boot: screen. No matter what I type at this screen, the screen goes black, UNLESS I type failsafe. In that case, it just gives me a CRC error. I have no clue what that is, but maybe someone here does. Right now Im running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell PC. The specs are:

    2.0ghz Pentium 4 Processor
    40gig harddrive
    256ram
    64mb NVidia Geforce4 MX w/ TV out
    Liteon DVD+/-RW LDW-4115
    Liteon DVD-Rom LTD163
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse
    Cnet Pro200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

    I have no idea what could be causing this problem, hopefully someone here might be able to help though. BTW, I am a comlpete newbie with Linux, this will be my first time ever using a distro.

    UPDATE:

    If I try booting with: "failsafe lang=us" then it gets to the part where it says "Uncompressing Linux..." then it gives me the CRC error, and it says System Halted. Then I have to reboot manually

    UPDATE 2:

    I tried reburning the image with Nero at a slower speed (8x as opposed to 32x the first time), but Im still getting the CRC error when I try to run in failsafe mode.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5
    I just tried starting Knoppix inside VMWare, and it got me alot further when I booted from drive E: instead of drive D:. However, when I try to run it on my actual computer, it always just tries to boot from drive D. Is there any way I can change this?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Try "knoppix testcd" at the boot prompt, it will check your media before actually booting. You will at least know if that's your problem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    After that, you might try disconnecting one of the CD/DVD devices temporarily. Beware of cabling and jumprering errors.

Similar Threads

  1. Black screen??
    By mikeym9477 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
  2. Black Screen
    By vinraec in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 04:32 PM
  3. Screen goes black now?
    By Eponick in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 02:36 AM
  4. Help my screen is black
    By mperry2014 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
  5. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99