Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 3.3 only creates one partition with the ext3 f

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20

    Knoppix 3.3 only creates one partition with the ext3 f

    Hello

    Right now I am still running SuSe 8.2 with the following hard
    disk configuration
    /dev/hda6 7341440 5870408 1471032 80% /
    /dev/hda8 1172672 723876 448796 62% /home

    /dev/hda6 on / type reiserfs (rw)
    /dev/hda8 on /home type reiserfs (rw)

    Hda7 is the swap partition.

    Now I wanted not to touch this partitions but to install
    knoppix on hda6 with reiserfs.


    I booted the
    New Knoppix release V3.3-2003-11-19
    everything went fine.

    The installation program seems to me knoppix installer run as root, I
    can then have a look at the configuration and the hard disk partition,
    everything is fine, but when I select install, knoppix offers me to
    install the system on hda6 with ext3, no option for reiserfs!!!

    Additionally a message occurs that /hda7 and /hda8 will be used as
    swap, which is not what I want /dev/hda8 is my home directory.

    What did I miss?

    Thanks

    Uwe Brauer

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Which installer are you using?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Which installer are you using?
    I did not emphasize enough:
    knoppix-installer


    I did not find any other, I heard about harddisk installer or so, but this I did not
    find on the CD

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    knx-hdinstall is the other one, it supports reiserfs

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    knx-hdinstall is the other one, it supports reiserfs
    thanks

    ok i try that one just wondering why the knoppix installer is nice but so restrictive,

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    Knoppix-installer is the better script in my opinion. When you use it it tells you that some setting can only be changed by editing a saved configuration file.
    Run the script, configure the installation and then save it.
    Navigate to /home/knoppix and edit the file with a text editor.
    Change filesystem type to reiser, default=ext3. Swap config can be altered although knoppix does this automattically at boot up anyway.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by kelmo
    Knoppix-installer is the better script in my opinion. When you use it it tells you that some setting can only be changed by editing a saved configuration file.
    Run the script, configure the installation and then save it.
    Navigate to /home/knoppix and edit the file with a text editor.
    Change filesystem type to reiser, default=ext3. Swap config can be altered although knoppix does this automattically at boot up anyway.
    Hello,

    thanks for this one.
    I could give this a try, but I also prefer always to have a /home partition apart, I presume
    this can be done also.
    Still I think it would be best if both installers could be merged, or just to add to the
    knoppix installer the possibilty of chosing the partition and their type.
    It is a little strange to have to nice installers but both are not perfect, but could be enhanced
    as it seems to me easily.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot with CD -> can't write to existing ext3 HD-partition
    By leoneill in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 10:48 AM
  2. Edit: Need help by resizing ext3 Partition w/o data loss!
    By wartiger in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 08:54 AM
  3. how to use ext3 for boot partition?
    By viet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 08:21 PM
  4. Knoppix & ext3
    By andrei in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 08:16 PM
  5. Accessing an ext3 partition
    By DrMartinus in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 05:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00