Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix breaks Netgear network interface

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix breaks Netgear network interface

    Hi,
    I presently dual-boot between debian unstable and win 2k. I have a netgear 10/100 ethernet adapter that uses the natsemi kernel module. I tried booting the latest knoppix cd -- it detected my network card but could not find the router that it was connected to.

    I then restarted into debian, and the interface did not come up! The same problem was reported.

    I restarted into win2k, and it claimed that the network cable was unplugged.

    After some trial and error I opened the case, unplugged the network card, and plugged it back in. The interface then came up in both debian and win2k.

    I then tried booting knoppix again to see if the problem was reproducible -- and the exact same thing happened.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Posts
    118
    I have the same problem.I have a new Dell Dimension 2400 which has an integrated Broadcomm Network card BCM 4400.
    I have seen the problem occuring on Knoppix and also on debian stable .
    I tried changing the kernel options for debian and compiled a new kernel(tried on kernel 2.4.18,2.4.21) with ACPI/APM all turned off but still this is occuring.

    The only solution which I have found till now to solve this problem is to disconnect the power supply to the computer for about 1 min and then the network card comes alive.

    I have read somewhere that this could be a problem of faulty BIOS but I checked on Dell's site for BIOS update and my BIOS is up-to-date.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    reboot

    OK, I know this doesn't solve it but did you actually powerdown and reboot or soft reboot.

    It sounds like it wasnt reinitialised but this sometimes happens if you softreboot instead of power off ...

    It shouldn't be necassary to actual take out the card.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 3.8.1 and 3.8 HD Install breaks
    By Indig0 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 03:50 PM
  2. FYI: dselect update breaks KNOPPIX 3.6!
    By Steve F in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 06:41 PM
  3. support multiple virtual network interface
    By vic9868 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 02:20 AM
  4. network not working: netgear FA311
    By cbare in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 11:07 PM
  5. Delaying network interface initialisation
    By pboddie in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99