-
Switch to Debian stable for KDE3.1?
Hi again!
After downloading a Knoppix CD and doing the knx-hdinstall (the story so far: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=741) I have a nice working copy of Debian Testing running on my machine.
The KDE3.0.4 that came with Knoppix3.1 is eating my system resources alive. With nothing running besides KMix, I've only got about 50MB of my 512MB DDR-RAM free. The system is responsive enough until I try to do some heavy multitasking (ie GAIM, XMMS, Konquerer file browser, Konsole, and 3-4 instances of Mozilla) and then the latency becomes kind of noticable.
I've been seeing alot of positive comments regarding KDE3.1, especially about its increased speed and more efficient memory usage, and I'm eager to try it out. Unfortunately, as we all know, doing an apt-get won't get you the latest KDE because of strange file dependancy issues with some of the "testing" programs included with Knoppix.
Now here's my questions for all you Linux gurus: Is it worth my reinstalling with a pure copy of Debian Stable instead of Knoppix in order to get KDE3.1? What would be the disadvantages of doing this?
I've also found that only a couple of MB of my 1GB swap partition is ever in use. Would I be better off resizing the swap to something like 256MB or even 128MB? It seems to me that if I just doubled my physical memory (for a total of 1GB DDR-RAM) the system would NEVER use the swap.
Thanks in advance,
Willis
Similar Threads
-
By saravanan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 09:00 AM
-
By saravanan in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:39 AM
-
By mr_dellarenta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
-
By tux in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 09:06 AM
-
By mrblah in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-27-2003, 05:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00