-
Boot problem
I followed steps listed here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174, and everything went smooth, until....
c:
cd \
attrib -h -r -s boot.ini
copy boot.ini boot.old
notepad boot.ini
(20) Notepad will start, with Boot.ini loaded. Edit the first line, 'Timeout=30'. Change it to 'Timeout=5'. This changes your boot selection timeout to 5 seconds, instead of 30.
(21) At the very end of the file, add C:\bootsect.knx = "Knoppix"
(22) Save the file. Get back to that command prompt. Issue attrib +h +r +s boot.ini.
(23) Reboot. Now, you should have two options: your previous Windows OS and Knoppix. Done!
I rebooted, and get a menu that asks me to select Windows XP Pro or Knoppix. Great, but,
When i choose Knoppix - i get an error stating that the disk cannot be read and the os cannot be started...blah blah blah. Where did i go wrong.
Xp still boots fine and Knoppix will boot also, but only from the floppy created during the install.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I may be wrong but I think you'd have better luck in a windows forum in regards to ntldr. I'm not sure why you don't just use a Linux boot loader. With all the effort you've put in you could've had it done already.
Of course it's not too late!
Just in case you're curious here's how hard it is to install grub.
1) Boot Knoppix w/ your floppy
2) apt-get install grub
3) grub-install /dev/hda
4) update-grub
5) reboot
6) enjoy
Wow that was a bear eh? Of course you can always try that ntldr nonsense again.
-
Ok. Ok.
With all the effort you've put in you could've had it done already.
I went ahead and did it. Being new to this, I was just trying to avoid fooking my precious M$ boot drive. I dont think i did , but now i have to figure out how to add WinXP Pro to the grub menu.
I know ive seen directions about it around here somewhere. Ill look.
Thanks for the info
-
Got it.
I added :
title Windows XP Pro
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
to my menu.lst
Now grub loads and i can choose either linux or xp pro.
When i choose xp pro it switches over to ntloader and boots.
Excellent.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
keyvisuals
Got it.
I added :
title Windows XP Pro
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
to my menu.lst
Now grub loads and i can choose either linux or xp pro.
When i choose xp pro it switches over to ntloader and boots.
Excellent.
Right on!
Similar Threads
-
By sid_galt in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 39
Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:02 PM
-
By mahanj2 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 06:59 PM
-
By codeforge in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
-
By Philly_Blunt in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 05:57 PM
-
By Wil in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 12:12 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module
$5.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G 40GBase BiDi 100m LC Transceiver Module W/ Hologram
$125.00