Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Adding overlay size in boot does nothing

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4

    Adding overlay size in boot does nothing

    I am using 6.2. I downloaded Knoppix and installed it to an 8GB USB drive.

    It asks during boot for the size of the overlay file (300MB to 4000MB). I enter 3000MB, and do OK, and it does not ask me anything about encryption, it just boots. I have a very fast system, so maybe there is some kind of timing issue?


    Here are the instructions I used to install the flash drive:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install...ve-in-windows/

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/mnt-system/KNOPPIX$ ls
    README_Security.txt index_it.html license.txt
    background.jpg knoppix modules
    index_de.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt sha1sums
    index_en.html knoppix-logo-medium.png sources.txt
    index_fr.html knoppix-logo-small.png
    Here is an ls of where I thought the overlay file belongs:

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/mnt-system/KNOPPIX$ ls
    README_Security.txt index_it.html license.txt
    background.jpg knoppix modules
    index_de.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt sha1sums
    index_en.html knoppix-logo-medium.png sources.txt
    index_fr.html knoppix-logo-small.png

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKlug View Post
    I am using 6.2. I downloaded Knoppix and installed it to an 8GB USB drive.

    It asks during boot for the size of the overlay file (300MB to 4000MB). I enter 3000MB, and do OK, and it does not ask me anything about encryption, it just boots. I have a very fast system, so maybe there is some kind of timing issue?


    Here are the instructions I used to install the flash drive:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install...ve-in-windows/

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/mnt-system/KNOPPIX$ ls
    README_Security.txt index_it.html license.txt
    background.jpg knoppix modules
    index_de.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt sha1sums
    index_en.html knoppix-logo-medium.png sources.txt
    index_fr.html knoppix-logo-small.png
    Here is an ls of where I thought the overlay file belongs:

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/mnt-system/KNOPPIX$ ls
    README_Security.txt index_it.html license.txt
    background.jpg knoppix modules
    index_de.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt sha1sums
    index_en.html knoppix-logo-medium.png sources.txt
    index_fr.html knoppix-logo-small.png
    I suggest you dump everything on the flash, reboot, and use the built-in flash install utility ("Install Knoppix to flash disk" on the Preferences menu.)

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    I solved my problem. I think that the documentation is a bit weak in this area.

    Since the "personal file" choice said between 300MB to 4000MB, I thought I should enter something like 3000MB. I even tried 3GB.

    This is incorrect. It wants only the integer.

    Am I completely alone in thinking that it wanted the "MB"? Otherwise I think they should make this clear somewhere. I have not seen any screenshots or examples of what to enter for the response for the "personal file" during boot.

    I can't figure out how to enter a bug report on 6.2. Bug reports seem to stop at 5.3:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs

    Here is what I could find on customization:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Customizing_FAQ

    Do I add something of my own to the custmization wiki?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    Glad to know your problem is solved.

    Do I add something of my own to the custmization wiki?
    It's a Wiki, JohnKlug, go right ahead, register, update away and make it more useful for others

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    I updated the customization FAQ, specifying that the size must be an integer:

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Customizing_FAQ

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W  Unused picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W Unused

$189.00



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19



Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205 picture

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205

$317.56