Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Booting Knoppix 6.2.1 from a USB on a Windows XP hangs?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3

    Booting Knoppix 6.2.1 from a USB on a Windows XP hangs?

    My Gateway Windows XP laptop has stopped booting, and I needed to recover some of my data before reformatting it. The CD drive doesn't work, so I purchased a live version of Knoppix 6.2.1 on a 2GB flash drive to try and boot from there.

    I was able to change the boot order and get it to recognize the USB, but I have a problem after that. Initially, I get a UNetbootin loader menu, where the options are as follows:

    Default
    adriane
    knoppix
    fb1024x768
    fb1280x1024
    fb800x600
    memtest
    dos
    failsafe

    I select "knoppix" and I can see the Linux logo at the top left hand corner, as well as all the functions loading. I get to a prompt asking me whether I want to create a file for saving my personal files, and it says I can leave it blank if I want to and skip that step.

    Finally, I get to a black screen with xauth: creating new authority file /home/knoppix/.Xauthority on top, and (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" on the bottom, where it hangs for a long time, at least 15 minutes by my last count. I still haven't been able to go beyond that point.

    My question is, what is it doing during that time? Is it erasing the HDD on my laptop because I hadn't specified a file size for my personal files earlier? Is it just frozen? I read elsewhere that it should take no more than 10 minutes to boot into Knoppix, so I got worried when it took so long and nothing changed. The cursor doesn't blink during this time either.

    Is there any other option I can try to boot from? Such as failsafe or Default? Any help is greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3

    Booting Knoppix 6.2.1 from a USB on a Windows XP hangs?

    My Gateway Windows XP laptop has stopped booting, and I needed to recover some of my data before reformatting it. The CD drive doesn't work, so I purchased a live version of Knoppix 6.2.1 on a 2GB flash drive to try and boot from there.

    I was able to change the boot order and get it to recognize the USB, but I have a problem after that. Initially, I get a UNetbootin loader menu, where the options are as follows:

    Default
    adriane
    knoppix
    fb1024x768
    fb1280x1024
    fb800x600
    memtest
    dos
    failsafe

    I select "knoppix" and I can see the Linux logo at the top left hand corner, as well as all the functions loading. I get to a prompt asking me whether I want to create a file for saving my personal files, and it says I can leave it blank if I want to and skip that step.

    Finally, I get to a black screen with xauth: creating new authority file /home/knoppix/.Xauthority on top, and (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" on the bottom, where it hangs for a long time, at least 15 minutes by my last count. I still haven't been able to go beyond that point.

    My question is, what is it doing during that time? Is it erasing the HDD on my laptop because I hadn't specified a file size for my personal files earlier? Is it just frozen? I read elsewhere that it should take no more than 10 minutes to boot into Knoppix, so I got worried when it took so long and nothing changed. The cursor doesn't blink during this time either.

    Is there any other option I can try to boot from? Such as failsafe or Default? Any help is greatly appreciated!

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    My guess would be that you're using a USB-1 connected memory chip, which is by definition much slower than what's normal today, USB-2. As to what it's doing, I'd say "working" to quote the Star Trek ship's computer. What you can do, if it is a slow memory connection, is use a different connection (i.e. a new USB card) or set up some space on the hard drive and multi-boot the PC.

    Hope that helps!
    Krishna

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    My guess would be that you're using a USB-1 connected memory chip, which is by definition much slower than what's normal today, USB-2. As to what it's doing, I'd say "working" to quote the Star Trek ship's computer. What you can do, if it is a slow memory connection, is use a different connection (i.e. a new USB card) or set up some space on the hard drive and multi-boot the PC.

    Hope that helps!
    Krishna
    Thanks for the info! What I actually ended up doing was booting from the fb1024x768 option which worked perfectly

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Complete list of cheatcodes here: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt
    Quote Originally Posted by voracious12 View Post
    Thanks for the info! What I actually ended up doing was booting from the fb1024x768 option which worked perfectly
    Good to hear! I have found out that in some cases, using the xmodule cheatcode can be necessary. I used the xmodule=intel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00