Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Swap File Question???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2

    Swap File Question???

    Hello

    I've been researching Knoppix and have a question about the swap file.

    Information seems to be sketchy and I can't quite figure out what the deal is with Knoppix and the swap. I sometimes use computers that don't belong to me. I don't want to leave a trace of any of my info in a swap file. As best as I can understand from reading, if a version of Linux is installed on the hard drive (of said computer) Knoppix will use the dedicated swap file space for scratch if it needs it. However it doesn't do this with other OS's like Mac OSX or Windows.

    1. Is this correct?

    2. If it is correct is there a way to disable it through CL or in a custom roll?

    Thank you for your help
    The Glump

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by theglump View Post
    Knoppix will use the dedicated swap file space for scratch if it needs it. However it doesn't do this with other OS's like Mac OSX or Windows.

    1. Is this correct?
    Yes.

    2. If it is correct is there a way to disable it through CL or in a custom roll?
    Use the knoppix cheatcode 'noswap'. Google around to find how to use a cheatcode.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    Would it be possible for someone in the know to tell users how to make a swap file on a Windows or Mac OSX box if they want to use one? Like I said above I don't want to use it but someone doing research that does want to may run across this thread because of the keywords in it. And I wouldn't mind knowing just in case. All I can find is what seems to be an old command of mkdosswapfile. I doubt that will work with newer versions of Windows. Thanks The Glump

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The "newer versions of Windows" use a NTFS partition by default. I would absolutely never let Knoppix write to one of my NTFS partitions, and advise others to avoid trying to do this also. The risk of completely corrupting the partition is just too great.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Toshiba T1200XE  Laptop  See Photos AS IS Untested  - Parts picture

Vintage Toshiba T1200XE Laptop See Photos AS IS Untested - Parts

$135.00



Lot of Vintage Ribbon Cables Untested Sold As Is picture

Lot of Vintage Ribbon Cables Untested Sold As Is

$99.99



Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov picture

Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov

$275.00



Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used picture

Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used

$47.99



Vintage Zak McKracken Alien Mindbenders Big Box Commodore 64/128 Insert UNTESTED picture

Vintage Zak McKracken Alien Mindbenders Big Box Commodore 64/128 Insert UNTESTED

$205.00



Vintage Toshiba T3300SL Portable Computer Laptop 1991 Works Dark Screen Bundle picture

Vintage Toshiba T3300SL Portable Computer Laptop 1991 Works Dark Screen Bundle

$449.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$164.95



Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Desktop Computer Model M5010 Apple Macintosh SE picture

Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Desktop Computer Model M5010 Apple Macintosh SE

$99.99



Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99