Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 7.4.2 - Have you ever wanted a BS-free time format in mc?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Quite a while ago I dug up the sources for mc-4.6.1 and started looking for a way to change the display format.
    I came up with a patch (see attachments to this message) which successfully gave me the time format displayed the way I wanted in mc.
    The other way is to edit the lines "timeformat..." to "..=%F %R" (man strftime) within '../.config/mc/ini' for the user knoppix and for root. Close the terminal and start again a terminal to have the changed datetime format.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    @ Werner

    Is there a way to achieve that change of time & date formats for PCManFM?

    Regards

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    The other way is to edit the lines "timeformat..." to "..=%F %R" (man strftime) within '../.config/mc/ini' for the user knoppix and for root. Close the terminal and start again a terminal to have the changed datetime format.
    Wow! Stunning! I had no idea they introduced this feature! It wasn't there in mc-4.6.2!

    I just tested it and it doesn't work there.
    They must have added it afterwards, but I was just assumimg brute force was still needed.

    I did what you described here in K7.6.2 and it works great.
    Nice to know you don't need to kick the door open because the handle actually works...

    If you had not told me about this, I would have never known!
    I was just going to assume the dumbness would stay there forever...

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Is there a way to achieve that change of time & date formats for PCManFM?
    As I can see it's hardcoded within PCManFM only to use the locale settings.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    32
    By the way, my preference for now is to use LXDE, but not with Metacity as a window manager.
    I use Kwin (I modified the entry in /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE/{config,desktop.conf}).
    And while I'm at it, I also use Konqueror instead of pcmanfm, I find pcmanfm too primitive.
    With konqueror I can customize the context menu to add my own actions backed by scripts...

    And things like time and date are easy to set in KDE System Settings, other things are still hackable...

    I tried for curiosity's sake to look in the sources for the place to hack in order to change the time & date format, but I couldn't figure out an exact place or way and I don't have too much time on my hands to dig.
    Maybe asking the programmer would be the best and quickest way to figure, like I did with konqueror.
    Last edited by chris_Xnest; 01-04-2015 at 03:03 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00