Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Root Password Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4

    Root Password Problem

    I have set my root password at installation. Now, when I try to adjust the date and time, it asks for my root password, but the authentication fails when I type the same one in.

    Where can I confirm what my password is?
    How can I change it to what I want it to be?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveb357 View Post
    I have set my root password at installation. Now, when I try to adjust the date and time, it asks for my root password, but the authentication fails when I type the same one in.

    Where can I confirm what my password is?
    How can I change it to what I want it to be?
    The only way I know to confirm the password is to use it, and it sounds like you tried that. Some thoughts on setting it again- There should be a root terminal in the Preferences menu, and there you can set it again with "passwd"; failing that, try "init 1" in a regular terminal if you can't find the root terminal link. Does Ctrl-Alt-F2 do anything? I haven't been able to use those root terminals in the 6.2 version so far, but they were real handy in prior version.

    Krishna

Similar Threads

  1. How can I set a root password????
    By oganika in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 07:12 PM
  2. Root Password Problem
    By kwyjibo730 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 08:24 PM
  3. root password
    By luagh45 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 11:06 PM
  4. root password
    By kornface13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 02:14 PM
  5. Root password?
    By CyberShadow in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard

$169.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$84.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640

$54.99



Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5

Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5" SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive

$44.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59